Fall 2022 Research Highlights
1. Donlan, P., Golub-Victor, A. Service-learning in a virtual environment: An exploration into how students make meaning of a novel learning experience. Journal of Community Engagement and Higher Education. 2022 (published ahead of print); 13(3).
2. Hayward L, Markowski A, Maitland M, Watkins M, Manske R, Beneck G. Element of Learning and Integration of Musculoskeletal Diagnostic Ultrasound Imaging into Clinical Practice by Physical Therapists J Phys Ther Education September 2022 – Volume 36 – Issue 3 – p 243-255 doi: 10.1097/JTE.0000000000000232
3. Markowski A, Watkins M, Maitland M, Manske R, Podoll K & Hayward L (2022) Exploring the integration of diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging into clinical practice by physical therapists, Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, DOI: 10.1080/09593985.2022.2135979
4. Yarossi, M., Brooks, D. H., Erdoğmuş, D., & Tunik, E. (2022). Similarity of hand muscle synergies elicited by transcranial magnetic stimulation and those found during voluntary movement. Journal of Neurophysiology, 128(4), 994-1010.
5. Kim, K., Bagci, F.S., Dorsey, K.L. 2022. Design considerations for photovoltaic energy haravesting in wearable devices. Scientific Reports, 12:18143
6. Corrigan P, Felson DT, Lewis CL, Neogi T, LaValley M, Gross KD, Nevitt MC, Lewis CE, Torner J, Stefanik JJ. Relation of asymmetric stance times during walking to 2-year knee pain outcomes in those with unilateral knee pain: The MOST Study. Arthritis Care and Research. DOI: 10.1002/acr.25050
7. Artiran, S., Ravisankar, R., Luo, S., Chukoskie, L., & Cosman, P. (2022). Measuring Social Modulation of Gaze in Autism Spectrum Condition With Virtual Reality Interviews. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 30, 2373-2384.
8. Quben M, Greenwood K, Gorman S, Bradford J et al. Simulation-based Education in Physical Therapist Education: Perspectives from the Strategic Initiative Panel on Simulation in Physical Therapy Education. Journal of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation. 2022 Oct 6; pzac135. doi: 10.1093/ptj/pzac135. Online ahead of print.
9. Stockert B, Macauley K, Bradford J, Gorman S, Greenwood K. et al. Simulation-based Education in Physical Therapist Education: A Survey of Current Practice. Journal of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation.2022 Oct 6;pzac133. doi: 10.1093/ptj/pzac133. Online ahead of print.
10. Stockert B, Silberman N, Rucker J, Bradford J, Gorman S, Greenwood K. et. Al Simulation-based Education in Physical Therapist Education: A Scoping Review of the Literature Journal of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation. Oct 6;pzac134. doi: 10.1093/ptj/pzac134. Online ahead of print.
11. Greenwood, Kristin Curry PT, DPT, EdD, MS, FNAP. Adapt and Fear Less: Leadership in Acute Care Practice Research and Education: The 12th American Physical Therapy Association Acute Care Lecture. Journal of Acute Care Physical Therapy: October 2022 – Volume 13 – Issue 4 – p 166-173 doi: 10.1097/JAT.0000000000000189
12. Ai, M., Loui, P., Morris, T. P., Chaddock-Heyman, L., Hillman, C. H., McAuley, E., & Kramer, A. F. (in press). Musical experience relates to insula-based functional connectivity in older adults. Brain Sciences.
13. Kable, T., Smith, J. J., Eather, N., Shields, N., Noetel, M., Lonsdale, C., Hillman, C. H., Reeves, P., Oldmeadow, C., Kennedy, S., Boyer, J., Edmunds, K., Stimpson, L., Comis, P., & Lubans, D. R. (in press). A school-based physical activity intervention for older adolescents with disability: rationale and study protocol for the Burn 2 Learn adapted (B2La) cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open.
14. Cannavale, C. N., Keye, S. A., Rosok, L., Martell, S., Holthaus, T. A., Reeser, G., Raine, L. B., Mullen, S. P., Cohen, N. J., Hillman, C. H., Hammond, B. R., Renzi-Hammond, L., & Khan, N. A. (in press). Enhancing children’s cognitive function and achievement through carotenoid consumption: the integrated childhood ocular nutrition study (iCONS) protocol. Contemporary Clinical Trials.
15. Huang, T. Y., Chen, F. T., Li, R. H., Hillman, C. H., Cline, T. L., Chu, C. H., Hung, T. M., & Chang, Y. K. (in press). Effects of acute resistance exercise on executive function: a systematic review of the moderating role of intensity and executive function domain. Sports Medicine – Open.
16. Logan, N. E., Westfall, D. R., Raine, L. B., Anteraper, S. A., Chaddock-Heyman, L., Whitfield-Gabrieli, S., Kramer, A. F., & Hillman, C. H. (2022). The differential effects of adiposity and fitness on functional connectivity in preadolescent children. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 54, 1702-1713. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000002964
17. Morris, T. P., Burzynska, A., Voss, M., Fanning, J., Salerno, E. A., Prakash, R., Gothe, N. P., Whitfield-Gabrieli, S., Hillman, C. H., McAuley, E., & Kramer, A. F. (2022). Brain structure and function predict adherence to an exercise intervention in older adults. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 54, 1483-1492.
18. Ortega, F. B., Mora-Gonzalez, J., Cadenas-Sanchez, C., Esteban-Cornejo, I., Migueles, J. H., Solis-Urra, P., Verdejo-Román, J., Rodriguez-Ayllon, M., Molina-Garcia, P., Ruiz, J. R., Martinez-Vizcaino, V., Hillman, C. H., Erickson, K. I., Kramer, A. F., Labayen, I., & Catena, A. (2022). Effects of an exercise program on brain health outcomes in children with overweight/obesity: the ActiveBrains randomized controlled trial. JAMA Network Open, 5, e2227893. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.27893.
Conference Abstracts and Presentations
American College of Rheumatology
*Corrigan DP, Lewis CL, Costello K, Guermazi A, Roemer FW, Kumar D, Felson DT, Bacon B, Neogi T, LaValley M, Lewis, CE, Torner J, Stefanik JJ. Three-dimensional Ground Reaction Force Symmetry Metrics Largely Fail to Explain Cartilage Worsening in the Contralateral Knee in Persons with Unilateral Knee Osteoarthritis: The Multicenter Osteoarthritis Study. ACR/ARP Annual Meeting, November 2022 (Oral Presentation).
*James K, Corrigan DP, Lanois C, Huang CH, Davis IS, Stefanik JJ. Association of Tibial Acceleration During Walking to Knee Pain and Loading in Adults with Knee Osteoarthritis. ACR/ARP Annual Meeting, November 2022 (Poster Presentation).
*Lanois C, Collins N, Neogi T, Guermazi A, Roemer FW, LaValley M, Nevitt M, Torner J, Lewis CE, Stefanik JJ. Anterior Knee Pain Is Associated with 2-year Compartment Specific Patellofemoral Cartilage Worsening: The MOST Study. ACR/ARP Annual Meeting, November 2022 (Poster Presentation).
Liew J, Rabasa G, LaValley M, Collins J, Guermazi A, Stefanik JJ, Lewis CE, Nevitt M, Torner J, Felson DT. Development of an MRI-based Definition of Knee Osteoarthritis: Data from the Multicenter Osteoarthritis Study. ACR/ARP Annual Meeting, November 2022 (Poster Presentation).
Bacon K, Felson DT, Jafarzadeh R, Kolachalama V, Hausdorff J, Gazit E, Stefanik JJ, Corrigan DP, Segal NA, Lewis CE, Nevitt M, Kumar D. Gait Alterations Associated with Worsening Physical Function over 2 Years: A Machine-learning Approach in the Multicenter Osteoarthritis (MOST) Study. ACR/ARP Annual Meeting, November 2022 (Ignite Poster Presentation).
Kumar D, Wang N, Torabian K, Aoyaagi K, Stefanik JJ, Frey-Law L, Carlesso L, Hausdorff J, Gazit E, Segal NA, Lewis CE, Nevitt M, Neogi T. Associations of Nociceptive Dysfunction with Physical Activity in Knee Osteoarthritis: The Multicenter Osteoarthritis Study. ACR/ARP Annual Meeting, November 2022 (Poster Presentation).
APTA of MA
Fiery*, S., Grierson*, K, Starr*, K, Golub-Victor, A. A Rapid Review of Outcomes of Telemedicine-Based Early Intervention (EI) Services. APTAMA Annual Conference, Norwood, MA 2022 Platform Presentation
Colón*, C., Gnaido*, E, Ray*, Q., Romanowicz*, R., Fitzpatrick, D., Golub-Victor, A. Describing curricular models which educate healthcare students on effective care practices for adults with intellectual disabilities: a scoping review. APTAMA Annual Conference, Norwood, MA 2022 Poster Presentation
Hayward L, Bangs D, Donlan P. Cultural Competence and Cultural Humility: An Innovative Approach in Physical Therapist Education. APTA ELC Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 2022.
Golub-Victor A, Donlan P. How an Innovative virtual service-learning module impacts cognitive development in physical therapy students. APTA Education Leadership Conference (ELC), Milwaukee, WI October 2022.
Cesario, C., Maxwell, J., Bangs, D. Clinical instructor experience and competence working with students who identify as LGBTQ. APTA Education Leadership Conference (ELC); platform presentation.
Donlan, P. Cultural Competence and Cultural Humility: An Innovative Approach in Physical Therapist Education; APTA Education Leadership Conference, Milwaukee WI
Haj, T. Wolden, M. Greenwood, KC. Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Clinical Education Placements for DPT Students. American Physical Therapy Associations Education Leadership Conference. Milwaukee Wisconsin 2022.
Society for Neuroscience
Pinkes N, Jacobs-Skolik S, Sharma V, Yarossi M, Kemmerling K, Tunik E, Soto O. (2022) Motor Facilitation is Force and Force Rate Dependent. Society for Neuroscience. San Diego, CA, USA
J. Snider, S. Hacker, J. Townsend, L. Chukoskie. Change blindness and eye tracking in children with autism. Society for Neuroscience, November 2022.
*M. Cheng, M.E. Huber, M. Sadeghi, L. Chukoskie, D. Sternad, D. Levac. Explicit exploration during virtual throwing and skill transfer to a real-world task in healthy children and young adults. Society for Neuroscience, November 2022.
*S. Rengarajan, J. Cannon, B. Baron, N. Mohan, L. Chukoskie. Understanding the interaction of conflict-minimizing and goal-seeking motor imperatives in autism spectrum disorder. Society for Neuroscience, November 2022.
*T. Simmons, J. Snider, L. Chukoskie. Characterizing gaze and movement behavior during dynamic virtual reality solo and two-player game play. Society for Neuroscience, November 2022.
*Manczurowsky, J., Cline, T., Hillman, C. H., & Hasson, C. J. (2022). Effects of hot and cold cognitive loads on the control of locomotion with neuromuscular impairment. Society for Neuroscience.
McDonald, K., Gabbard-Durnam, L., De Lisio, M., Raine, L. B., Morris, T., Bernard-Willis, Y., Watrous, J., Cline, T., Beaudry, K., Kramer, A. F., & Hillman, C. H. (2022). The pandemic stay-at-home orders linked to dysregulated cortisol in children. Society for Neuroscience.
Pindus, D. M., Ai, M., Chaddock-Heyman, L., Burzynska, A., Voss, M., Gothe, N., Salero, E. A., Fanning, J., Anteraper, S. A., Castanon, A., Whitfield-Gabrieli, S., Hillman, C. H., McAuley, E., & Kramer, A. F. (2022). Sustained moderate-to-vigorous physical activity is related to enhanced resting state functional connectivity in cognitively salient brain networks in seniors. Society for Neuroscience.
Tinney, E. M., Loui, P., Kramer, A. F., Hillman, C. H., & Johnson, C. L. (2022). The relationship between cognition and white matter integrity in mild cognitive impairment using diffusion tensor tractography. Psychophysiology.
Logan, N. E., Occidental, N., Watrous, J. N., Raine, L. B., Kramer, A. F., & Hillman, C. H. (2022). The differential influence of positive and negative health factors on the preadolescent brain. Psychophysiology.
Morris, T. P., Burzynska, A. Z., Fanning, J., Salerno, E. A., Gothe, A. P., Whitfield-Gabrieli, S., Hillman, C. H., McAuley, E., & Kramer, A. F. (2022). What can the brain tell us about older adults’ engagement in physical exercise and sedentary behaviors? Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
Coca-Pulido, A., García-Rivero, Y., Catena, A., Erickson, K. I., Toval, A., Martin-Fuentes, I., Scalafani, A., Hillman, C. H., Solis-Urra, P., Mora-Gonzalez, J., & Esteban-Cornejo, I. (2022). Association of muscular strength and gray matter volume in cognitive – healty older adults: the Agueda trial. Abstracts of the 27th Annual Congress of the European College of Sports Sciences.
Pindus, D. M., Edwards, C. G., Walk, A. M., Zwilling, C. E., Talukdar, T., Anderson, E. D., Jarret, J. S., Schwarb, H. S., Reeser, G., Burd, N. A., Holscher, H. D., Cohen, N. J., Kramer, A. F., Hillman, C. H., & Khan, N. A. (2022). The associations between accelerometer-measured sedentary time and behavioral and neurofunctional correlates of cognitive control in young and middle-aged adults. Neuronus.
Manczurowsky, J., Cline, T., Hillman, C. H., & Hasson, C. J. (2022). A model system for testing rehabilitation interventions: imposing temporary neuromotor and cognitive impairments in healthy individuals. The Medical Rehabilitation Research Resource (MR3) Network.
Dennerlein, J.T (2022) Work-Related Factors and Mental Health Issues Among Construction Workers. 3rd International Symposium to Advance Total Worker Health®, Bethesda, MD. October 11-14, 2022
Sorensen, G., Dennerlein, J.T., Lovejoy, M., Peters, S.E. (2022) Approaches and Challenges to Improving Working Conditions Across Industries. Keynote Presentation. 3rd International Symposium to Advance Total Worker Health®, Bethesda, MD. October 11-14, 2022
Corkery MB, Chui KK, Yen SC, Wang I. Trunk and thigh coordination during a lateral step-down in athletes with patellofemoral pain. ACRM 99th Annual Conference. Chicago IL. Poster.
Qiu, Q., Fluet, G.G., Patel, J., Iyer, S., Karunakaran, K., Kaplan, E., Tunik, E., Nolan, K.J., Merians, A.S., Yarossi, M. and Adamovich, S.V., 2022. Evaluation of Changes in Kinematic Measures of Three-Dimensional Reach to Grasp Movements in the Early Subacute Period of Recovery from Stroke. In 2022 44th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society (EMBC) (pp. 5107-5110). IEEE.
Pinkes N, Jacobs-Skolik S, Sharma V, Yarossi M, Heckman CJ, Kemmerling K, Tunik E, Soto O. (2022) Motor Facilitation as potential biomarker of UMN dysfunction in ALS. Proceedings of the 21st Annual Meeting of the Northeast ALS Consortium. Muscle & Nerve, 66: S1-S63.
Zubrow, M, Ferguson M, Gregory J, Valcourt S, Sivak M, Greenwood K, Ottolini M. Feasibility of eye tracking to measure expertise in pediatric point of care echocardiography: a pilot study. American Academy of Pediatrics 2022 National Conference; Anaheim, CA, United States.
Leanne: Talk at the Autism Tree Project Foundation Global Neuroscience Conference, November 3: Autism, Gaming and Attention
Leanne: Ethics panel presentation and discussion on Serious games for autism intervention. IEEE BRAIN Discovery Neurotechnology Workshop (Nov. 10)
Nolan DC. Rehabilitation Strategies for Adhesive Capsulitis. Occupational Therapy.com. online presentation. September 8, 2022.
Nolan DC, Tenforde AS. Advances to Evaluation and Management of Achilles Tendinopathy. Massachusetts General Hospital Division of Sports Medicine Conference. Boston MA. September 29, 2022.
Nolan DC. The Thrower’s Shoulder. Mass General Waltham PT/OT. November 3, 2022.
Nolan DC, Kheterpal A. Musculoskeletal Imaging and Sports Medicine Case Review: Hamstring tear with Rotator Cuff Tear. October 20, 2022
Nolan DC. Lower Extremity Examination and Treatment Techniques. Cypress Health Partners. October 22-23, 2022
Hillman, C. H. “Childhood physical activity effects on brain health and cognition”. Neuronus 2022: Neuroscience Forum. Krakow, Poland. October 2022.
Hillman, C. H. “The relation of excess adiposity to brain, cognition, and academic achievement”. Japan Society of Exercise Physiology, Sapporo, Japan, August 2022. (Keynote).
Hillman, C. H. “Childhood physical activity effects on brain health and cognition”. Department of Sports Cultural Studies, Hokkaido University of Education, Sapporo, Japan. August 2022.
Hillman, C. H. “The acute effects of a single bout of exercise on brain and cognition”. Graduate School of Informatics and Engineering, University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan. August 2022.