Gary Young, JD, PhDProfessor, Director Center for Health Policy and Healthcare Research
- Center for Health Policy and Law
- Department of Health Sciences
- School of Law
Office: 137 RI
Gary Young is Director of the Northeastern University Center for Health Policy and Healthcare Research, as well as Professor of Strategic Management and Healthcare Systems, Northeastern University. He is also affiliated with the Health Services Research and Development Service of the Department of Veterans Affairs. His research interests generally cover management, legal, and policy issues affecting the delivery of healthcare services. Much of his research focuses on measuring and evaluating the performance of healthcare providers, particularly for quality of care, and the potential for using financial incentives to improve providers’ performance on quality metrics. His recent research also includes studies of hospital engagement in population health including their spending on community health initiatives. Young has received research funding from both government agencies and private foundations, including the National Science Foundation, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. His published work has appeared in such journals as the New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of the American Medical Association, Health Affairs, Medical Care, Annals of Health Law, and Academy of Management Journal. In 1998, Dr. Young received from the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) the John D. Thompson Prize in Health Services Research. He is also a recipient of a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Investigator Award in Health Policy Research. In 2012, he was appointed, by the US Secretary of the Treasury, to the Internal Revenue Service’s Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities, one of several congressionally mandated committees that advise the IRS on policy and procedural issues. He received a law degree and PhD in management from the State University of New York.
- Healthcare management, quality of care, health law
Selected Honors & Awards:
- 1995 Healthcare Management Research Award, sponsored by the American College of Healthcare Executives.
- 1997 Best Paper Award from the Health Care Management Division, Academy of Management, for paper “Patterns of Coordination and Clinical Outcomes: A Study of Surgical Services,” sponsored by the American College of Healthcare Executives.
- 1998 co-winner of John D. Thompson Prize for Young Investigators, sponsored by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Investigator Award in Health Policy Research, 2006.
- Keynote presentation for the annual meeting of the Italian Health Economics Association, Naples Italy, 2018.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Young, G., C. Chou, J. Alexander, S, Lee and E. Raver. “Provision of Community Benefits by Tax Exempt U.S. Hospitals” New England Journal of Medicine (Special Article), 2013; 368: 1519–1527.
- Young, G., N. Rickles, C. Chou and E. Raver, “Enrollee Socio-Economic Characteristics Appear to Influence Medicare Part D Contractors’ Performance Scores for Medication Adherence” Health Affairs. 2014; 33: 140 – 146.
- Oppel, E. and G. Young. “Nurse Staffing Patterns and Patient Experience with Care: An Empirical Analysis of U.S. Hospitals” Health Services Research. 2018; 53, 1799 — 1818.
Selected Public Service:
- Internal Revenue Service, Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT)
- National Quality Forum, member of expert panel for exploring approaches to combining cost measures with clinical quality measures to improve cost-effectiveness of care, January – August 2014.
- License, Member of Connecticut Barr