Undergraduate: Frequently Asked Questions

Current Students


Prospective Students

Contact Info

Office of Student Services
120 Behrakis Health Science Center
Tel: 617.373.3320 | Fax: 617.373.8994
[email protected]

Office Hours
8:30am to 5:00pm | M-F

Did you know? You can check your advisor’s walk-in hours and/or schedule an appointment online through myNEU (Self-Service tab, Advising Resources channel, Advisor Calendar link).

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I receive NU credit for my AP/IB/A-level exams and or college-level courses?

AP/IB/A-Level: Please request that all grade reports be sent to Northeastern University. Northeastern grants course credit for AP scores of 4 or 5. If you have any IB or A-level credit, please let your Academic Advisor know during Orientation. If you choose to enroll in the course for which you were granted credit, you will forfeit that AP/IB/A-Level credit. A benefit of AP/IB/A-Level credit is that it allows you additional opportunity to explore courses of interest and/or to pursue a minor.

College courses: Students who have taken courses at an accredited college/university need to arrange to have official college transcripts sent to the Northeastern University Office of Admissions. IN ADDITION, course descriptions for any college courses taken should be sent in the body of an email to [email protected].

How can I make Dean's List?

A dean’s list, or honors list, is issued at the end of each fall and spring semester. The requirements to be on the dean’s list are a 3.500 grade-point average or higher with no I grade or grade below C–. Students who are on any form of probation, who are enrolled in a course on a pass/fail basis (except where there is no alternative or where required by the program), or who are not carrying a full load as determined by their undergraduate college are not eligible. With a few exceptions as approved by the respective colleges, a full load for fall and spring semesters is considered to be a minimum of four courses or 16 semester hours.

Can I take a course pass/fail?

Bouvé students are able to take no more than one general elective course per semester pass/fail. Required coursework may not be taken pass/fail. Always check with your Academic Advisor before electing to take a course pass/fail.

Am I required to take a foreign language placement exam in order to enroll in a foreign language course?

If you have no background in the language (e.g., coursework or personal experience), you can enroll in Elementary-level courses without taking a placement exam. NOTE: If the instructor assesses that you have a higher level of knowledge beyond the course, it is at the instructor’s discretion to withdraw you from the course.

If you do have coursework or experience in the language, you must take a placement exam. Please visit the World Languages Center website for more information.

How do I pursue a minor?

Please refer to your “Undegraduate Catalog” for information on all minors at Northeastern University.

Can I study abroad?

Please visit the Study Abroad website and then make an appointment with your Bouvé advisor.

How does co-op work?

You will take a “Professional Development” course as outlined in your curriculum plan.

With the assistance of a co-op faculty coordinator, students send their resumes to various employers and interview for their position.

Students are paid according to the co-op experience they choose.

Students can live in Residence Halls while on co-op (if in Boston).

Students DO NOT pay tuition while on co-op.

Do I have to stay in Boston during co-op?

Co-ops may be done anywhere. Any worksite can fulfill the requirements of a co-op experience as long as it is first approved by your co-op faculty coordinator. This allows students to live at home, explore another state, or even another country.

Who helps me with my academic concerns?

As a Bouvé student, you have a professional Academic Advisor who is available to assist you with any questions and/or concerns. You will be required to meet with your Academic Advisor during your first and second years. You may make an appointment by stopping by the Bouvé Office of Student Services, 120 Behrakis, accessing your myNEU account, or calling 617.373.3320.

What if I get sick while on campus?

University Health and Counseling Services, located on Forsyth Street in the Forsyth Building, provides both physical and mental health services.

What is the Husky Card and how do I use it?

The Husky Card is your University ID, plus a whole lot more. Your Husky Card allows you entrance to university facilities, buildings and events, access to your meal plan and Dining Dollars and can also act as a debit card. For more information, please visit www.northeastern.edu/huskycard.

Do I need to use myNEU email?

The University considers your myNEU email address to be an official method of communication. Bouvé Student Services relies heavily on your myNEU account to make important announcements and to share pertinent, major-specific information.

To forward your email, go to your myNEU account, click on the e-mail icon, click on “Options.” and then click “Autoforward.” Make sure to put in your “forward to” e-mail address.

Where do I go if I have any questions or concerns?

Your first point of contact for any questions or concerns should be your Bouvé Academic Advisor. Academic Advisors provide assistance to students with both personal concerns and academic issues such as adding and dropping classes and addressing questions about teachers and curricula. You may make an appointment by stopping by the Bouvé Office of Student Services in 120 Behrakis, scheduling an appointment through your myNEU account, or calling 617.373.3320.

How do I sign up for tutoring?

The Peer Tutoring Program offers a wide range of tutoring services to meet the academic needs of the undergraduate students in many of the introductory level courses, as well as some of the upper-level courses in the NU Core, including Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, and Physics.