Maura Daly Iversen, PT, DPT, SD, MPHProfessor and Chairperson
- Department of Physical Therapy
Office: 301C Robinson Hall
Post Doctoral Fellowship in Clinical Epidemiology, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Doctor of Science in Behavioral Science and Clinical Epidemiology, Harvard University, School of Public Health
Doctor of Physical Therapy, MGH Institute of Health Professions
Master of Public Health, Boston University
Bachelor of Science, Biology, Simmons College
Certification: Medical Simulation, Center for Medical Simulation, Harvard/MIT Collaborative
Management Leadership Training, Harvard Graduate School of Education
Specializations: Rheumatology, Clinical Epidemiology, Behavioral Science
Evaluation of the efficacy and effectiveness of non-pharmacologic interventions for persons with arthritis; Understanding behavioral and social factors influencing adherence to pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions in rheumatic conditions; Application of medical simulation to team health care
Select Public Service:
Scientific Committee and Co-Chair, International CARE Organization for the Advancement of Non-pharmacologic care of persons with arthritis
Scientific Advisor to the Danish Fysiotherapy Research Initiative, Denmark
Senior Editor, Editorial Board, Physical Therapy
Board Member, Research and Education Foundation
Former Trustee, MA Chapter Arthritis Foundation
Past President, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals
Membership Committee, Section on Research, American Physical Therapy Association
Advocacy Committee, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals
Abstract Reviewer, Education Section, American Physical Therapy Association
Member of the National Arthritis Foundation Board Development Committee
Committee Member, BSA Troop 242, Newton, MA
Member of the Committee on Journal Publications, American College of Rheumatology
Additional Editorial Activities:
1997-2002 Ad hoc Reviewer, Physical Therapy
1999- Ad hoc Reviewer, Social Science & Medicine
2000- Ad hoc Reviewer, Arthritis Care & Research
2000- Ad hoc Reviewer, J Rheumatology
2002-2003 Reviewer, American College Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Clinical Guidelines for the
Management of Low Back Complaints
2002-2004 Editorial Board, Scandinavian Physical Therapy Newsletter Fysio
2003 Expert Reviewer, American Pain Society Guidelines for Fibromyalgia
2003-2005 Editorial Board, Associate Editor, Physical Therapy
2004 Guest Editor, Current Opinion in Rheumatology Special Issue on Rehabilitation in Rheumatology
2005 Ad hoc Reviewer Archives Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
2005 Consulting Editor, Editorial Team, Clinical Care in Rheumatic Diseases, 3rd edition
2006- Editor, Physical Therapy (Chair, Journal Policies & Procedures (2007-)
2007- Ad hoc Reviewer, Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology
2007- Ad Hoc Reviewer, J Clinical Rheum
2007-2008 Reviewer, Rheumatology Nurse Practitioner/Physical Assistant Post Graduate
Rheumatology Training Course: Musculoskeletal Curriculum
2008- Ad hoc Reviewer, Osteoarthritis & Cartilage
2009- Member, Editor Search Committee, Arthritis Rheumatism
2011-12 Guest editor, Special Edition, Best Practice and Research Clinical Rheumatology
Honors and Awards:
2000 Whiting Foundation Fellow in Clinical Investigation
2003 Scholarly Excellence Award, Simmons Collegeâ€¨
2003 21st Marjorie Ionta Lecturer, MGH Institute of Health Professionsâ€¨
2004 Bronze Award, National Health Information Award for Patient Informationâ€¨
2004 Clinical Research Award, Massachusetts Chapter, American Physical Therapy Associationâ€¨
2005 Star Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionalsâ€¨
2005 Partners in Excellence Service Award for Innovation and Technology, Partners Healthcare
2005 United States Presidential Lifetime Service Award, President Bush's Council on Service and Civic Participation, awarded for mentoring youth through Girl Scouts of America
2006 Lawren H Daltroy Fellowship, Research & Education Foundationâ€¨
2006 Addie Thomas Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionalsâ€¨
2006 Presidential Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionalsâ€¨
2008 Ann Kunkel Award, identify and/or develop as well as communicateâ€¨â€¨
2011 Distinguished Scholar Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals, American College of Rheumatologyâ€¨
Received from Following Agencies: Foundation for Physical Therapy, National Arthritis Foundation, MA Chapter Arthritis Foundation, Whiting Foundation, Farnsworth Foundation, Research and Education Foundation, American College of Rheumatology, National Institutes of Health (NIAMs),
* Indicates significant contribution when not first or senior (last) author per Harvard Medical format
1. Daltroy LH, Liang MH, Logigian M, Iversen MD*. Does musculoskeletal function deteriorate in a predictable sequence in the elderly? Arthritis Care Res 1992;5:146-150.
2. Daltroy LH, Iversen MD*, Larson MG, Ryan J, Zwerling C, Fossel AH, Liang MH. Teaching and social support: effects on knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors to prevent low back injuries in industry. Health Educ Q 1993;20:43-62.
3. Daltroy LH, Robb-Nicholson C, Iversen MD, Wright EA, Liang MH. Effectiveness of minimally supervised home aerobic training in patients with systemic rheumatic diseases. Br J Rheum 1995;34:1064-1069.
4. Daltroy LH, Iversen MD*, Larson M, Lew R, Wright E, Ryan J, Zwerling C, Fossel AH, Liang, MH. A randomized controlled trial of an educational program to prevent low back injuries and recurrences. N Engl J Med 1997;337:322-328.
5. Iversen MD, Daltroy LH, Fossel AH, Katz JN. The prognostic importance of patient pre-operative expectations of surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis. Patient Educ Counsel 1998;34:169-178.
6. Iversen MD, Fossel AH, Daltroy LH. Rheumatologist-patient communication about exercise and physical therapy in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res 1999;12:180-192.
7. Iversen MD. Exercise offsets chronic low back pain. Biomech 2000;7:51-60.
8. Iversen MD, Katz JN. Examination findings and self-reported walking capacity in patients with degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis. Phys Ther 2001;81:1296-1306.
9. Edwards JA, Gray G, Iversen MD. Focus on falls: forming a health education program for the elderly. Gerinotes 2001:8: 6-11.
10. Iversen MD. Physical therapy management of rheumatoid arthritis. J Muscul Med 2002;9:352-362.
11. Iversen MD, Shimmel JP, Ciacera S, Prabakar M. Creating a family-centered approach to early intervention
services: perceptions of parents and professionals Ped Phys Ther 2003;2:23-31.
12. Bischoff HA, Stahleim HB, Monsch AU, Iversen MD, Weyh A, von Dechend M, Akros R, Conzelmann M, Dick W, Theiler R. Identifying a cut-off point for normal mobility: a comparison of the timed up-and-go in community-dwelling and institutionalized elderly women. Age Ageing 2003;32:315-320.
13. Mannerkorpi K, Iversen MD. Exercise therapy in fibromyalgia and related syndromes. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2003;17:629-647.
14. Iversen MD, Fossel AH, Katz JN. Enhancing function in older adults with chronic low back pain: a pilot study of endurance training. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2003;84:1324-1331.
15. Dunn JC, Iversen MD. Inter-rater reliability of knee muscle forces obtained by hand-held dynamometer from elderly subjects with degenerative back pain. Geriatric Phys Ther 2003;23:24-28.
16. Iversen MD, Dupre A. Exercises for hip osteoarthritis. Arthritis Self-Management 2003;4:4-10
17. Iversen MD, Eaton HM, Daltroy LH. How rheumatologists and patients with rheumatoid arthritis discuss exercise and the influence of discussions on exercise prescriptions. Arthritis Rheum 2004;51:63-72.
18. Iversen MD, Fossel AH, Ayers K, Palmsten A, Wang HW, Daltroy LH. Predictors of exercise behavior at six months in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Phys Ther 2004;84:706-716.
19. Lyle M, Manes S, McGuinness M, Ziaei S, Iversen MD. Relationship of physical examination findings and self-reported symptom severity and function in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis. Phys Ther 2005;85:120-133
20. Li L, Iversen MD. Outcomes of patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving rehabilitation. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2005;17:172-176.
21. Iversen MD. Moving the research agenda in rehabilitative rheumatology: where are we going and how will we get there? Curr Opin Rheumatol 2005; 17:157-159.
22. Iversen MD, Petersson IF. Design issues and priorities in team and non-pharmacologic arthritis care research. J
Rheumatol 2006; 33:1904-1907.
23. Rooks DS, Huang J, Bierbaum, BE, Bolus SA, Rubano J, Connolly C, Alpert S, Iversen MD, Katz JN. The effect of pre-operative education on measures of functional status in men and women undergoing total hip and knee arthroplasty. Arthritis Rheum 2006;55:700-708.
24. Iversen MD, Hill J. Keenan AM, Li, L, Hurley M. Vliet Vlieland TPM. Care in action-translating arthritis research into practice. Arthritis Rheum 2007;57:1334-1338.
25. Rooks DS, Gautam S, Romeling M, Cross ML, Stratigakis D, Evans B, Goldenberg DL, Iversen MD, Katz JN. Group exercise, education, and combination self-management in women with fibromyalgia: a randomized trial. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:2192-2200.
26. Iversen MD, Friden C. Pilot study of high school basketball players' anterior cruciate ligament injury knowledge, attitudes, and practices. Scandinavian J Sports Med Science 2008; www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18627558
27. Iversen MD, Kale M, Sullivan Jr, J. Measures of postural sway and functional performance in patients with degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis and healthy adults. Geriatric Phys Ther 2009;32:36-42.
28. Iversen MD, Lee MB, Connell P, Anderson J, Anderson A, Kocher M. Validity and Comprehensibility of the International Knee Documentation Committee (IKDC) Subjective Knee Evaluation Form in children. Scandinavian J Sports Med Science, 2009; DOI: 10.111/j.1600-0838.2009.00917.x.
29. Solomon DH, Gleeson T, Iversen MD* et al. A blinded randomized controlled trial of motivational interviewing to improve compliance with osteoporosis medications: Design of the OPTIMA trial. Clinical Trials, 2009; PMID: 19436935.
30. Gleeson T, Iversen MD*, Avorn J,et al. Interventions to improve adherence and persistence with osteoporosis medications: A systematic literature review. Osteoporosis International 2009; DOI: 10.1007/s00198-009-0976-0
31. Boisgontier M, Vuillerme N, Iversen MD. Superimposed electrical stimulation decreases maximal grip force. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2010;50:152-158.
32. Iversen MD, Physical Therapy for Older Adults with Arthritis: What is Recommended? Int J Clin Rheumatol. 2010; 5(1): 37-51.
33. Iversen MD, Hammond A, Betteridge N. Self-Management of Rheumatic Diseases- State of the Art and Future Perspectives. Annals Rheum Dis. 2010;69:955-963
34. Smith JJ, Iversen MD, Anderson A, Connell P Kocher M. Reliability, Validity and Responsiveness of a Modified International Knee Documentation Committee Subjective Knee Form (pedi-IKDC) in Children with Knee Disorders. Ann J Sports Med. 2011;39:933-939.
35. Iversen MD, Choudhary VR, Patel SC. Therapeutic exercise and manual therapy for persons with lumbar spinal stenosis. Int J Clin Rheumatol. 2010;5:425-437 , DOI 10.2217/ijr.10.29
36. Iversen MD, Chudasama N, Losina E, Katz JN. Influence of Limb Length Discrepancy on Function and Satisfaction Following Total Hip Replacement. Geriatric Phys Ther. 2001; DOI: 10.1519/JPT.0b013e31820e16dc.
37. Iversen MD, Ruchita RV, Servi, A, Solomon DH. Factors Affecting Adherence to Osteoporosis Medications: A Group Approach Examining Viewpoints of Patients and Providers. Geriatric Phys Ther. 2011: DOI: 10.1097/JPT.0b013e3181ff03b4.
38. Garneau K, Iversen MD, Jan S, Parmar K, Tsao H, Solomon D. Rheumatoid Arthritis Decision-Making: Many Information Sources But Not All Rated As Useful. Int J Clin Rheumatol. 2011;17:231-235.
39. Iversen MD, Chhabriya R, Shadick N. Predictors of Physical Therapy Service Use in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Phys Ther. 2011;91:1-12.
40. Guillemin F, Iversen MD, Rat AC, Osborne R, Petersson IF. Non pharmacologic interventions need Outcomes for Evaluating Complex Interventions in Rheumatic Diseases (In Press, J Rheumatol, 2011)
Reviews, Chapters and Monographs and Editorials:
1. Liang MH, Partridge A, Eaton H, Iversen MD. Rehabilitation of the homebound elderly with locomotor disabilities. Clin Ger Med 1988;4:431-9.
2. Iversen MD, Logigian M. An international exchange program in physical therapy. Clin Manage Phys Ther 1988;8:22-5.
3. Palozzi L, Iversen MD, Daltroy LH. Stamp out low back pain: educational materials to train postal workers and supervisors in reduction of low back injuries. Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA 1989.
4. Iversen, MD, Daltroy LH, Valderrama, Y, Rodriquez-Louis, J. Learn how to manage your asthma. Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA 1992.
5. Iversen MD, Liang MH, Bae SC. Exercise therapy in selected arthritides: rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic sclerosis and polymyositis/dermatomyositis. In: Frontera WR, Dawson DM, Slovik DM, editors. Exercise in rehabilitation medicine.Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 1999. p 227-252.
6. Iversen MD. Rheumatology practice and research from an international perspective. Physiother Theory
7. Iversen MD. Clinical care text in the rheumatic diseases. Arthritis Care Res 2002;47:227.
8. Iversen MD. Disease-specific measures: fibromyalgia impact questionnaire. Arthritis Rheum 2003;49:S210-
10. Finckh A, Iversen MD, Liang MH. The exercise prescription in rheumatoid arthritis: Primum Non Nocere. Arthritis Rheum 2003;48:2393-2395.
12. Iversen MD. Exercise therapy for chronic low back pain. Arthritis Self-Management 2004;5:7-14.
13. Li LC, Backman C, Bombardier C, Hammond A, Hill J, Iversen MD, Petersson IF, Stenstrom, C, Vlieland TV. Focusing on care research – a challenge and an opportunity. Arthritis Rheum 2004;51:874-876.
14. Iversen MD. Moving the research agenda in rehabilitative rheumatology: where are we going and how do we get there? Curr Opin Rheumatol 2005;17:157-159
15. Mannerkorpi K, Iversen MD. The use of exercise and rehabilitation regimens. In: Wallace DJ, Clauw DJ, editors. Textbook of fibromyalgia and other central pain syndromes. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. 2005. p.329-342.
16. Iversen MD, Finckh A Liang MH. Exercise prescriptions for the major inflammatory and non-inflammatory arthritides. In: Frontera WR, Dawson DM, Slovik DM, editors. Exercise in rehabilitation medicine. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2005. p. 157-179.
17. Iversen MD. Effective provider-patient communication for rheumatic diseases: the first step in providing patient centered care. In: Bartlett et al editors. Clinical Care Text in Rheumatic Diseases. American College of Rheumatology. 2006. p. 21-26.
18. Iversen MD. Health promotion and patient education for people with arthritis. In: Hochberg M, Silman A, Smolen J, Weinblatt M, Weisman MM, editors. Rheumatology 4th ed. Elsevier. 2007. p.371-379.
19. Iversen MD. Communicating with your health care provider. Arthritis Self-Management. 2007;6: 6-8.
20. Iversen, MD. Early physical therapy for rehabilitation in rheumatoid arthritis. J Musculoskeletal Med. 2007;24:269-276.
21. Iversen MD. Care IV series: state of knowledge, practice, and translation in interdisciplinary arthritis research and care. Phys Ther 2007;87:1574-1576.
22. Iversen MD. Addressing Health Care Needs of Persons with Arthritis: Issue Brief. American Physical Therapy Association. www.apta.org, October, 2008.
23. Iversen MD, Steiner LA: Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. In Magee DJ, Zacahzewski JE, Quillen WS (eds): Pathology and Intervention in Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation, St. Louis, MO, Saunders. 2009. p.359-381.
24. Iversen MD, Kale M. Physical therapy management of select rheumatic conditions in older adults. Geriatric Rheumatology: A comprehensive Approach. (Drs Nakasato, Teasdale and Carnes, Editors, In Press, 2009).
25. Iversen MD. Patient Education and Team Care in Rheumatology. In: Hochberg M, Silman A, Smolen J, Weinblatt M, Weismann MM, eds. Rheumatology. 5th ed. Elsevier , 2011.
26. Iversen MD. Rehabilitation Medicine and Physical Therapy Management of Rheumatic Diseases. In: Firestein, O’Dell editors. Kelley’s Textbook of Rheumatology. Saunders/Elsevier, 2011.
27. Iversen MD, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis In: O’Sullivan SB, Schmitz TJ, editors. Physical Rehabilitation 6th ed. F.A. Davis. (In Press, 2011).
Proceedings Of Meetings:
1. Iversen MD. Organization mentorship for the 21st century: a vision for ARHP. Arthritis & Rheumatism
1. Iversen MD et al. Case Study in Fibromyalgia. Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals, American College of Rheumatology Web-based Case. http:// www.rheumatology.org, 2002
2. Iversen MD et al. Case Study in Knee Osteoarthritis. Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals, American College of Rheumatology Web-based Case http:// www.rheumatology.org, 2003
3. Iversen MD et al. Case Study of a Patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Association of Rheumatology Health
Professionals, American College of Rheumatology Web-based Case http:// www.rheumatology.org, 2004
1. Iversen MD et al. Practice pattern for balance assessment and fall risk reduction. Guide to Physical Therapy Practice 2nd Ed. Physical Therapy 2001; 8:S307-318.