Katherine L. TuckerAdjunct Professor
PhD, Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University
BSc, Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut
Specializations: Nutritional epidemiology; public health nutrition
Research Interests: Nutritional epidemiology; diet and health; health disparities; nutritional status of populations
Public Service (2011):
Chair, Nutritional Sciences Council, American Society for Nutrition and member American Society for Nutrition Executive Board
Scientific Directions Committee, NHLBI Jackson Heart Study, Jackson, MS
Community Advisory Council, Tufts CTSI Center for Aligning Researchers and Communities for Health (ARCH)
Committee to develop Oldways' Healthy Food Pyramid based on the food traditions of the African Diaspora
International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) North America, Food, Nutrition and Safety Program (FNSP) Scientific Advisory Board
Center for Community Health Education Research and Service (CCHERS), Boston, MA, Board of Directors and Finance Committee
Publications (selected from more than 250):
- VanRompay MI, McKeown NM, Castaneda-Sceppa C, Falcon, LM, Ordovás JM, Tucker KL. Acculturation is associated with more healthful diet and lifestyle in Puerto Rican adults. J Am Diet Assoc , in press
- Sofianou A, Fung T, Tucker KL. Differences in diet pattern adherence by nativity and duration of US residence in the Mexican-American population. J Am Diet Asso, in press
- Mattei J, Noel S, Tucker KL. A meat, processed meat, and french fries dietary pattern is associated with high allostatic load in Puerto Rican older adults. J Am Diet Assoc, in press
- Bhupathiraju S, Dawson-Hughes B, Hannan MT, Lichtenstein AH, Tucker KL. Centrally located body fat is associated with lower bone mineral density in Puerto Rican older adults. Am J Clin Nutr doi:10.3945/ajcn.111.016030
- Ye X, Gao X, Scott T, Tucker KL. Habitual sugar intake and cognitive function among middle-aged and older Puerto Ricans without diabetes. Brit J Nutr doi: 10.1017/S0007114511001760.
- Mattei J, Demissie S, Tucker KL, Ordovas JM. The APOA1/C3/A4/A5 cluster and markers of allostatic load in the Boston Puerto Rican Health Study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis doi:10.1016/j.numecd.2010.02.024
- Hickson D, Diez Roux AV, Smith A, Tucker K, Gore L, Zhang L, Wyatt S. Associations of fast food restaurant availability with dietary intake and weight among African Americans in the Jackson Health Study, 2000-2004.Am J Pub Health doi:10.2105/AJPH.2010.300006
- Maras JE, Talegawkar SA, Qiao N, Lyle B, Ferrucci L, Tucker KL. Flavonoid intake in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. J Food Comp doi:10.1016/j.jfca.2011.04.007
- Smith CE, Tucker KL. Health benefits of cereal fiber: a review of clinical trials.Nutr Research Rev2011;15:1-14.
- Bhupatharaju S and Tucker KL. Prevention of coronary heart disease: from nutrients to foods to dietary patterns.Clinica Chimica Acta2011;412:1493–1514.
- Bhupathiraju S, Lichtenstein A, Dawson-Hughes B, Tucker KL. Adherence index based on the AHA 2006 Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations is associated with select cardiovascular disease risk factors in older Puerto Ricans. J Nutr 2011;141:460-9
- Renzaho AM, Kumanyika S, Tucker KL. Family functioning, parental psychological distress, child behavioural problems, socio-economic disadvantage and fruit and vegetable consumption among 4-12 year-old Victorians, Australia.Health Promo Inter 2011;26:263-75.
- VanRompay MI, Castaneda-Sceppa C, McKeown NM, Ordovás JM, Tucker KL. Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors among older Puerto Rican adults living in Massachusetts. J Immigr Minor Health 2011;13:825-33.
- Huang T, Tucker KL, Lee Y-C, Crott JW, Parnell LD, Shen J, Smith CE, Ordovas JM, Li D, Lai C-Q. Interactions between genetic variants of folate metabolism genes and lifestyle affect plasma homocysteine concentrations in the Boston Puerto Rican population. Pub Health Nutr 2011;22:1-8.
- Farina EK, Kiel DP, Roubenoff R, Schaefer EJ, Cupples LA, Tucker KL. Protective effects of fish intake and interactive effects of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid intakes on hip bone mineral density in older adults: the Framingham Osteoporosis Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2011:93;1142-1151.
- Farina EK, Kiel DP, Roubenoff R, Schaefer EJ, Cupples LA, Tucker KL. Dietary intakes of arachidonic acid and alpha-linolenic acid are associated with reduced risk of hip fracture in older adults J Nutr 2011;141:1146-53.
- Ye X, Lai C-Q, Crott JW, Troen AM, Ordovas JM, Tucker KL. The folate hydrolase 1561C>T polymorphism is associated with depressive symptoms in Puerto Rican adults. Psychosomatic Med 2011;73(5):385-92.
- Laugero KD, Falcon LM, Tucker KL. Relationship between perceived stress and dietary and activity patterns in older adults participating in the Boston Puerto Rican Health Study. Appetite 2010; 56:194-204.
- Bhupathiraju S, Tucker KL. Greater variety in fruit and vegetable intake is associated with lower inflammation in Puerto Rican adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2011;93:37-46.
- IOM (Institute of Medicine) 2010. Child and adult care food program: Aligning dietary guidance for all. Washington DC: National Academies Press.
- Tucker KL, Maras J, Qiao N. Simulation with soy replacement showed that increased soy intake could contribute to improved nutrient intake profiles in the US population. J Nutr 2010;140:2296S-2301S.
- Flores M, Macias N, Rivera M, Lozada A, Barquera S, Rivera-Dommarco J, Tucker KL. Dietary patterns in Mexican adults are associated with risk of being overweight or obese. J Nutr 2010;140:1869-1873.
- Ye X, Maras JE, Bakun P, Tucker KL. Dietary intake of vitamin B6, plasma pyridoxal 5’-phosphate and homocysteine in Puerto Rican Adults. J Am Diet Assoc 2010;110:1660-1668.
- Noel S, Newby PK, Ordovás JM, Tucker KL. Adherence to an (n-3) Fatty acid/fish intake pattern is inversely associated with metabolic syndrome among Puerto Rican adults in the greater Boston area. J Nutr. 2010;140:1846-54.
- Gao X, Lai CQ, Scott T, Shen J, Cai T, Ordovas JM, Tucker KL. Urinary 8-hydroxy-2-deoxyguanosine and cognitive function in Puerto Rican adults. Am J Epidem 2010;172:271-8.
- Noel S, Lai C, Ordovás JM, Tucker KL. Variants of the CD36 gene and metabolic syndrome in Boston Puerto Rican adults. Atherosclerosis 2010; 211:210–215.
- Mattei J, Demissie S, Falcón LM, Ordovás JM, Tucker K. Allostatic load is associated with chronic conditions in the Boston Puerto Rican Health Study. Soc Sci Med 2010;70:1988-96.
- Tucker KL, Mattei J, Noel S, Collado B, Mendez J, Nelson J, Griffith J, Ordovás J, Falcón LM. The Boston Puerto Rican Health Study, a longitudinal cohort study on health disparities in Puerto Rican adults: challenges and opportunities. BMC Public Health 2010;10:107.
- Buell JS, Dawson-Hughes B, Scott T, Weiner D, Dallal G, Qui WQ, Bergethon P, Rosenberg IR, Folstein M, Patz S, Bhadelia RA, Tucker KL. 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, dementia, and cerebrovascular pathology in elders receiving homecare services. Neurol 2010;74:18-26.
- Tucker KL. Dietary patterns, approaches and multicultural perspective. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab.2010;35:211-8.