Special Student Status FAQs

Graduate Student Services
The last day to register as a Special Student
for Spring 2019 is December 1, 2018.
Click to Access the Special Student Application
Can I take courses without matriculating into a specific graduate program?

Yes you can take up to 12 sh as a non matriculated student. After the 12 sh you will have to apply to the specific program and be accepted to continue your studies.

*Students interested in the DNP program can only take up to 9 sh before applying.

How do I find the course I want?

Please go to the Registrar’s web site for the listings of courses being offered in the appropriate semester. Select “Class Schedule” under Gradaute Schools on the site (in the far right column). www.neu.edu/registrar

Once I find the course I want, what is my next step?

E-mail the following faculty requesting permission to take the chosen course. Please remember to state the course number and name.


Faculty Member

Contact Email

College Student Development Vanessa Johnson v.johnson@northeastern.edu
Counseling Psychology MS, CAGS William Sanchez w.sanchez@northeastern.edu
Counseling Psychology PhD Jessica Edwards-George  j.george@northeastern.edu
Exercise Science Rui Li r.li@northeastern.edu
Health Informatics Jay Spitulnik j.spitulnik@northeastern.edu
Health Data Analytics Clark Freifeld c.freifeld@northeastern.edu
Nursing MS & CAGS Janet Rico j.rico@northeastern.edu
Nursing DNP Michelle Beauchesne M.Beauchesne@northeastern.edu
Nursing PhD Pamela Burke PJ.Burke@northeastern.edu
Occupational Ergonomics and Health Lauren Murphy l.murphy@northeastern.edu
Pharmaceutical Sciences Diomedes Logothetis d.logothetis@northeastern.edu
Population Health Beth Molnar b.molnar@northeastern.edu
Public Health mph@northeastern.edu
School Psychology MS/CAGS Amy Briesch a.briesch@northeastern.edu
School Psychology PhD Jessica Hoffman j.hoffman@northeastern.edu
Speech Language Pathology Lori Book l.book@northeastern.edu
How do I register for the class once I have permission to take the course?

Please fill out special student application above, and submit all  required documentation to our office. Your information will be entered in the University system and you will be notified when your account is ready for registration. The last day to submit a complete application to take courses as a special student are: 8/1 for fall courses, 11/1 for spring courses and 4/1 for summer courses (Full Summer, Summer 1/2)

Is there an application fee?

Yes, a one time non-refundable $75 application fee is required. If you decide to apply to a program, you will not be charged again. Unless the program is part of the Common Application System. Programs that are part of the Common Application System include; Master of Public Health in Urban Health, Doctor of Pharmacy Direct Entry, Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies and the Post Baccalaureate Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.

The application fee can be paid by check or money order. The payment should be made out to Northeastern University and sent to: Northeastern University, 123BK, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.

Is proof of my undergraduate degree necessary?

Yes. We must receive an official transcript indicating you have received a BS/BA. A copy of your diploma may also be used to verify your degree.

Is proof of my nursing license necessary?

Yes. We must receive a copy of your up to date nursing license.

Can I be refused the course I want to take?

Yes. Matriculated students have first choice on the classes being offered. This may stop you from gaining entrance or being removed from the class if a matriculated student needs to be enrolled.

If I successfully complete these courses as a special student am I guaranteed admission?

Admission is not guaranteed after successfully completing the courses. Admission is based on your status in the application pool for the program of interest.

If I apply and am accepted to the program of choice, will these credits transfer into the program?

Yes, they will automatically be applied to your program. Since we offer core courses for special student status, these courses can also be transferred to another college.

As an international student, can I enroll as a special student?

F-1, F2 and J-1 visas cannot enroll as a special student because the courses would not provide full time status. H visas can become special students as long as they bring copies of their visas and proof of sponsorship.

When do courses start?

Please check the Registrar’s site for the calendar, tuition, and policy on dropping courses. www.neu.edu/registrar