Professor of Chemistry and Biomedical Science; Director, Environmental Cancer Research Program
Ph.D., MIT (Cambridge, MA)
BS, Hamline University
Diplomate, American Board of Clinical Chemistry
The research projects in Dr. Giese’s laboratory combine aspects of analytical chemistry, organic chemistry and biochemistry to make advances in the reagents and techniques available for trace organic analysis. Emphasis is placed on the development of new methodology for high sensitivity and multi-analyte detection, applied especially to human samples. The principle detection technique being used for high sensitivity is mass tag mass spectrometry. Examples of analytes of interest are DNA adducts (damage to genes by carcinogens), drugs (both therapeutic monitoring and drugs of abuse), and metabolites/xenobiotics (metabolomics). Testing noninvasive samples, namely breath and urine, is emphasized. Collaboration with other groups, as at nearby hospitals, is important.
202. Cellai, F., Munnia, A., Viti, J., Doumett, S., Ravagli, C., Ceni, E., Mello, T., Polvani, S., Giese, R. W., Baldi, G., Galli, A., Peluso, M.E. M. (2017) Magnetic Hyperthermia and Oxidative Damage to DNA of Human Hepatocarcinoma Cells, Int. J. Mol. 18, 1-15. Doi:10.3390/ijms18050939.
203. Giese, R.W. (2017) Interview, MetaboNews, February Issue 66.
204. Munnia A., Giese, R. W., Polvani, S., Galli, A., Cellai, F., Peluso, M.E.M. (2017) Bulky DNA Adducts, Tobacco Smoking, Genetic Susceptibility, and Lung Cancer Risk, in Advances in Clinical Chemistry, Makowski, G.S., ed., Academic Press, 231-277.
205. Shao, G., Agar, J., Giese, R. W., (2017) Cold-Induced Aqueous Acetonitrile Phase Separation: A SaltFree Way to Begin QuEChERS, J. Chromatogr. A 1506, 128-133. doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2017.05.045
206. Pleil, J. Giese, R.W. (2017) Integrating exhaled breath diagnostics by disease-sniffing dogs with instrumental laboratory analysis, J. Breath Res. 11, 032001. doi.org/10.1088/1752-7163/aa79bc
207. Cordero, J. F., Meeker, J.D., Loch-Caruso, Giese, R., Padilla, I., Vesper, D., Kaeli, D., Sheahan, T., Brown, P., Velez-Vega C. M., Alshawabkeh, A. N. (2018) Team Science Applied to Environmental Health Research: Karst Hydrogeology and Preterm Birth in Puerto Rico, In: White, W., Herman, J., Herman, E., Rutigliano, M,. (eds) Karst Ground water Contamination and Public Health, Advances in Karst Science Springer, Cham.
208. Giese, R. W. and Wang. P. (2018) Cationic Tags for Attomole Level Detection of Analytes by Mass Spectrometry, U.S. Patent 10,036,743.
209. Wang, P. Giese, R. W. (2018) Interpretation of Mass Spectral Data for the Ciplatin 1,2 Intrastrand Guanine-Guanine Adduct, Chem. Res. Toxicol. doi:10.1021/acs.chemrestox.8b00134
210. Giese, R. G., Shao, G., MacNeil, M., Wang, P. (2018) Caged Bags of Porous Materials, US Patent Application Number 13/955,512, allowed.
140 TF, Room 202