BS, Pharmacy (magna cum laude), Northeastern University
PhD, Pharmaceutics, Purdue University
Registered Pharmacist in MA
Polymeric Biomaterials, Drug Delivery Systems, Nanomedical Technologies
- Synthesis of novel polymeric materials for medical and pharmaceutical applications.
- Surface modification of cationic polymers by the complexation-interpenetration method to develop biocompatible materials.
- Preparation and characterization of polymeric membranes and microcapsules with controlled permeability properties for medical and pharmaceutical applications.
- Target-specific drug and vaccine delivery systems for gastro-intestinal tract infections.
- Localized delivery of cytotoxic and antiangiogenic drugs for solid tumors in novel biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles.
- Intracellular delivery systems for drugs and genes using target-specific, long-circulating, biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles.
- Gold and iron-gold core-shell nanoparticles for biosensing, imaging, and delivery applications.
- Amiji, M.M. and Sandmann, B.J. (Eds.). Applied Physical Pharmacy. McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division. New York, NY. 2002.
- Amiji, M.M. (Ed.) Polymeric Gene Delivery: Principles and Applications. CRC Press, LLC (a subsidiary of Taylor and Francis). Boca Raton, FL. 2004.
- Amiji, M.M. (Ed.). Nanotechnology for Cancer Therapy. CRC Press, LLC (a subsidiary of Taylor and Francis). Boca Raton, FL. 2007.
- Amiji, M.M. and Torchilin, V.P. (Eds.). Biomedical Nanotechnology, (10 Volumes Book Series). Volumes 1 and 2, “Handbook of Materials for Nanomedicine” Pan Stanford Publishing, Hackensack, NJ. (In press)
- Bhavsar, M.D. and Amiji, M.M. Oral IL-10 gene delivery in a microsphere-based formulation for local transfection and therapeutic efficacy in inflammatory bowel disease. Gene Therapy, 15(17): 1200-1209 (2008).
- Jabr-Milane, L., van Vlerken, L., Yadav, S., and Amiji, M. Multi-functional nanocarriers to overcome tumor drug resistance. Cancer Treatment Reviews, 34(7): 592-602 (2008).
- Magadala, P., and Amiji, M.M. Epidermal growth factor receptor-targeted gelatin-based engineered nanocarrier systems for DNA delivery and transfection in human pancreatic cancer cells. The AAPS Journal, 10(4): 565-576 (2008).
- Yadav, S., van Vlerken, L.E., Little, S.R., and Amiji, M.M. Evaluations of combination mdr-1 gene silencing and paclitaxel administration in biodegradable polymeric nanoparticle formulations to overcome multidrug resistance in cancer cells.
- Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, 63(4): 711-722 (2009).
- Barchet, T.B. and Amiji, M.M. Challenges and opportunities in CNS delivery of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases. Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, 6(3): 211-225 (2009).
- Ganta S. and Amiji, M.M. Co-administration of paclitaxel and curcumin in nanoemulsion formulations to overcome multidrug resistance in tumor cells. Molecular Pharmaceutics, Published online, DOI: 10.1021/mp800240j (2009).