Shaw Bronner, PT, PhD, OCSAssociate Professor
- Department of Physical Therapy
Office: 308B Robinson Hall
- Visiting Scholar, Neuroimaging and Decision Sciences, fMRI Research Center, Columbia University Medical Center
- PhD, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties, Orthopaedics
- American Red Cross Certified Emergency Medical Responder
Specializations: â€¨Dance medicine, orthopaedics, biomechanics, neural mechanisms of movement skill development
Biomechanics and epidemiology of dance injuries. Cortical and biomechanical changes along the motor learning continuum with skill development. Effectiveness of rhythmic exer-games for speech, locomotion, and lower extremity rehabilitation in populations with neurologic insult.
Member Medical Task Force of Dance/USA, founding member Performing Arts Special Interest Group (PASIG), Orthopaedic Section, APTA, member International Association of Dance Medicine and Science. Editorial board Journal of Dance Medicine and Science, Medical Problems of Performing Artists.
(selected peer-reviewed publication)
- Ono Y, Nomoto Y, Tanaka S, Sato K, Shimada S, Tachibana A, Bronner S, Noah JA (2013). Frontotemporal oxyhemoglobin dynamics predict performance accuracy of dance simulation gameplay: temporal characteristics of top-down and bottom-up cortical activities. NeuroImage, 2013 May 24. pii: S1053-8119(13)00571-5. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2013.05.071. [Epub ahead of print].
- Bronner S, Pinsker R, Noah JA (2013). Energy expenditure and game-flow of current generation active video games. Am J Health Behav, 37(3):369-380.
- Bronner S (2012). Differences in segmental coordination and postural control in a multi-joint dance movement: Développé arabesque. J Dance Med Sci, 16(1):26-35.
- Tachibana A, Noah JA, Bronner S, Ono Y, Hirano Y, Niwa M, Watanabe K, Onozuka M (2012). Activation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex with the dual task Kana Pick-out Test. Behavioral and Brain Functions, 8:26. E-pub, DOI:10.1186/1744-9081-8-26.
- Ojofeitimi S, Bronner S, Woo H (2012). Injury incidence in hip hop dance. Scan J Med Sci Sports, 22:347-55. Epub, DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01173.x.
- Tachibana A, Noah JA, Ono Y, Bronner S (2011). Parietal and temporal activity during stepping tasks of differing complexity: an fNIRS study. Neuroscience Letters, 503(2):125-130. doi:10.1016/j.neulet.2011.08.023.
- Ojofeitimi S, Bronner S (2011). Injuries in a modern dance company: Effect of an in-house comprehensive management program on injury rates and health-care costs. J Dance Med Sci, 15(3):116-122.
- Bronner S, Ojofeitimi S (2011). Pelvis and hip kinematics in three grand battement dance movements. J Dance Med Sci, 15(1):23-30.
- Bronner S, Ojofeitimi S, Mayers L (2006). Comprehensive injury surveillance of dance injuries: A proposal for uniform reporting guidelines for professional companies. J Dance Med Sci, 10(3-4):69-80.