Maura Daly IversenProfessor and Associate Dean of Clinical Education, Rehabilitation and New Initiatives
- Bouve College of Health Sciences, Dean's Office
- Department of Physical Therapy, Movement & Rehabilitation Science
Post Doctoral Fellowship in Clinical Epidemiology, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Doctor of Science in Behavioral Science and Clinical Epidemiology, Harvard University, School of Public Health
Doctor of Physical Therapy, MGH Institute of Health Professions
Master of Public Health, Boston University
Bachelor of Science, Certificate in Physical Therapy, Simmons College
2012 Harvard Medical School Faculty Mentorship Leadership Program, Boston, MA
2010 American Council On Education, Leadership Program
2007 Harvard Graduate School of Education, Management Development Program for Academics, Cambridge, MA
Medical Simulation, Center for Medical Simulation, Harvard/MIT Collaborative
Certified in Online learning and course design
Specializations: Rheumatology, Clinical Epidemiology, Behavioral Science, Patient Related Outcomes (PROs) Measurement Development
Evaluation of the efficacy and effectiveness of non-pharmacologic interventions for persons with arthritis; Understanding behavioral and social factors influencing adherence to pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions in rheumatic conditions; Application of medical simulation to team healthcare
Select Public Service:
Scientific Committee and Co-Chair, International CARE Organization for the Advancement of Non-pharmacologic care of persons with arthritis
Scientific Advisor to the Danish Fysiotherapy Research Initiative, Denmark
Senior Editor, Editorial Board, Physical Therapy
Former Board Member, Research and Education Foundation aka Rheumatology Research Foundation
Former Trustee, MA Chapter Arthritis Foundation
Past President, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals
Members, Sections on Research and Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy, American Physical Therapy Association
Member, RHEUMPAC, American College of Rheumatology
Chair, Clinical Focus Course, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals (2013-present)
Abstract Reviewer, Education Section, American Physical Therapy Association
Member of the National Arthritis Foundation Board Development Committee
Former APTA representative to U.S. Bone and Joint Decade
Additional Editorial Activities:
1997-present Ad hoc Reviewer, Physical Therapy
1999- Ad hoc Reviewer, Social Science & Medicine
2000- Ad hoc Reviewer, Arthritis Care & Research
2000- Ad hoc Reviewer, J Rheumatology
2002-2003 Reviewer, American College Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Clinical Guidelines for the Management of Low Back Complaints
2002-2004 Editorial Board, Scandinavian Physical Therapy Newsletter Fysio
2003 Expert Reviewer, American Pain Society Guidelines for Fibromyalgia
2003-2005 Editorial Board, Associate Editor, Physical Therapy
2004 Guest Editor, Current Opinion in Rheumatology Special Issue on Rehabilitation in Rheumatology
2005 Ad hoc Reviewer Archives Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
2005 Consulting Editor, Editorial Team, Clinical Care in Rheumatic Diseases, 3rd edition
2006- Editor, Physical Therapy (Chair, Journal Policies & Procedures (2007-)
2007- Ad hoc Reviewer, Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology
2007- Ad Hoc Reviewer, J Clinical Rheum
2007-2008 Reviewer, Rheumatology Nurse Practitioner/Physical Assistant Post Graduate
Rheumatology Training Course: Musculoskeletal Curriculum
2008- Ad hoc Reviewer, Osteoarthritis & Cartilage
2009- Member, Editor Search Committee, Arthritis Rheumatism
2011-12 Guest editor, Special Edition, Best Practice and Research Clinical Rheumatology
Honors and Awards:
2000 Whiting Foundation Fellow in Clinical Investigation
2003 Scholarly Excellence Award, Simmons College
2003 21st Marjorie Ionta Lecturer, MGH Institute of Health Professions
2004 Bronze Award, National Health Information Award for Patient Information
2004 Clinical Research Award, Massachusetts Chapter, American Physical Therapy Association
2005 Star Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals
2005 Partners in Excellence Service Award for Innovation and Technology, Partners Healthcare
2005 United States Presidential Lifetime Service Award, President Bush’s Council on Service and Civic Participation, awarded for mentoring youth through Girl Scouts of America
2006 Lawren H Daltroy Fellowship, Research & Education Foundation
2006 Addie Thomas Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals
2006 Presidential Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals
2008 Ann Kunkel Award, identify and/or develop as well as communicate
2011 Distinguished Scholar Award, Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals, American College of Rheumatology
2015 Catherine Worthingham Fellow of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
2016 U.S. Fulbright Research Scholar, European Division
Received from Following Agencies: Foundation for Physical Therapy, National Arthritis Foundation, MA Chapter Arthritis Foundation, Whiting Foundation, Farnsworth Foundation, Research and Education Foundation, American College of Rheumatology, National Institutes of Health (NIAMs), National Science Foundation
Publications (From 2015 to present):
- Hayworth B, Cohen L, von Heideken J, Kocher M, Iversen MD. Assessing the validity and comprehensibility of shoulder and elbow measures in children with musculoskeletal disorders and creation of a new pediatric shoulder elbow measure (Pedi-ASES). Am J Sports Med (Submitted, March, 2017).
- Nyvang J, Iversen MD, Naili JE, Gedin P, Brostrom EW, Hedstrom M. Are female gender and younger age associated with greater pain expression in patients with osteoarthritis? A cross-sectional study of 108 patients schedule for joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop (In revision, 2016).
- Wohlfahrt A, Campos A, Iversen MD, Gagne J, Massarotti E, Boyden S, Solomon DH, Feldman CH. Development and implementation of a patient navigator intervention to improve medication adherence for rheumatology: A qualitative study. Arthritis Care & Research (In Revision, 2016).
- Von Heideken J, Iversen MD, Gerdhem P. Rapidly Increasing Incidence in Scoliosis Surgery Over 14 years in a Nationwide Sample. European Spine (Accepted, European Spine Journal, August, 2017).
- MacFarlane LA, Kim E, Cook N, Lee I-M, Iversen MD, Katz JN, Costenbader KH. Racial variation in total knee replacement in a diverse nationwide clinical trial. Clinic Rheumatol. (Accepted, 2017)
- Sparks JA, Iversen MD, Yu Z, Triedman N, Prado MG, Kroouze RM, Kalia SS, Mody EA, Helfgott SM, Todd DJ, Dellaripa PF, Bermas BL, Deane KD, Costenbader KH, Lu B, Green RC, Karlson EW. A randomized controlled trial of personalized risk disclosure among unaffected first-degree relatives of patients with rheumatoid arthritis: the personalized risk estimator for RA (PRE-RA) family study. AC&R (Accepted, 2017).
- Chevan J, Rein King M, Iversen MD. Early assurance programs in physical therapy: A high quality alternative for the right student. J Phys Ther Ed. (Accepted, 2017).
- Demmelmaier I, Iversen MD. How are Behavioral Theories Used in Interventions to Promote Physical Activity in Rheumatoid Arthritis? A systematic review. Arthritis Care & Research. 2017; doi 10.1002/acr.23265.
- Iversen MD, Quinn T, Frits M, Shadick N, Weinblatt, M. Validity of the Nurses Health Study II Physical Activity Questionnaire (NHSPAQ) in estimating daily activity in persons with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017; doi 10.1186/s12891-017-1589-y
- Iversen MD. Arthritis patient education and adherence. In: Hochberg M, Silman A, Smolen J, Weinblatt M,Weisman MM, editors. Rheumatology, 7th Edition, Elsevier. (In Press, 2017).
- Cardoso JR, Pereira LM, Facci LM, Cardoso AMG, Lopes Lavado E, Verhagen AP, Iversen MD. Aquatic therapy exercise for treating Rheumatoid Arthritis: Cochrane Systematic Review. (2017)
- Breugelmans J, Lin Y, Iversen MD, Schmidt D. An Adaptive Interface Design (AID) for enhanced computer accessibility and rehabilitation. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. 2017; doi 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.09.012
- Von Heideken J, Iversen MD, Fysisk Aktivitet Hos Vuxna Med Reumatoid Arthrit. Best Practice Reumatologi in Severige. 2017; 9(31):14-15.
- Wohlfhart A, Campos A, Iversen MD, Gagne J, Massarotti E, Boyden S, Solomon DH, Feldman CH. Can Patient Navigators Improve Adherence to Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs? Quantitative Findings from the Med Assist Pilot Study. Arthritis Care & Research. 2017; doi 10.1002/acr.23302
- Naili JE, Wretenberg P, Lindgren V, Iversen MD, Hedstrom M, Brostrom E. Improved knee biomechanics among patients reporting a good outcome in knee-related quality of life one year after total knee arthroplasty. J BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2017; doi 10.1186/s12891-017-1479-3
- Gunn AH, Schwartz TA, Arbeeva LS, Callahan LF, Golightly Y, Goode A, Hill CH, Huffman K, Iversen MD, Pathak A, Taylor SS, Allen KD. Fear of Movement and Associated Factors among Adults with Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care Res. 2017; doi 10.1002/acr.23226
- Naili J, Iversen MD, Haslund C, Wetenberger, P, Brostrom E. The impact of symptomatic knee osteoarthritis on overall gait pattern deviations and its association with performance-based measures and patient-reported outcomes. The Knee.2017; doi 10.1016/j.knee.2017.02.006
- Carregaro R, Iversen MD, Cardoso J. Do virtual reality games improve mobility skills and balance measurements in community-dwelling older adults? Systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Rehabilitation. 2017; doi 10.1177/0269215517694677
- Loof E, Andriesse H, Andre M, Bohm S, Iversen MD, Brostrom EW. Gross motor skills in children with idiopathic clubfoot and the association between gross motor skills, foot involvement, gait and foot mobility. J Pediatr Orthop 2017; DOI: 10.1097/BPO.0000000000000964
- Iversen MD, von Heideken J, Frits M, Weinblatt M Shadick N. Correlates of Physical Activity Participation over 3 years in adults with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res 2016; 18. doi: 10.1002/acr.23156.
- LinY, Breugelmans J, Iversen MD, Schmidt D. An Adaptive Interface Design (AID) for enhanced computer accessibility and rehabilitation. Int J Human-Computer Studies 2016; DOI:10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.09.012.
- Nasreddine AY, Connell P, Kalish LA, Nelson S, Iversen MD, Anderson AF, Kocher MS. The Pediatric International Documentation Committee (Pedi-IKDC) Subjective Knee Evaluation Form: Normative Data. Am J Sports Med. 2017;45(3): 527-534. doi: 1177/0363546516672456.
- Wang CC, Schmid CH, Iversen MD, et al. Comparative effectiveness of Tai Chi versus physical therapy for knee osteoarthritis: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2016;165(2): 77-86. doi:10.7326/M15-2143
- Iversen MD, Kiami S, Singh K, Masiello V, von Heideken J. Prospective, randomized controlled trial to evaluate the effect of smart glasses on vestibular examination. BMJ Innov. 2016;2(2): doi:10.1136/bmjinnov-2015- 000094.
- Iversen MD, Harvey W, Wang CC, Price LL, von Heideken J. Physical examination findings and their relationship with performance-based function in adults with knee osteoarthritis. BMC Musculoskeletal. 2016, 17:273. doi: 10.1186/s12891-016-1151-3.
- Naili JE, Iversen MD, Esbjornsson A, Hedstrom M, Schwartz MH, Hager CK, Brostrom EW. Deficits in functional performance and gait one year after total knee replacement despite improved self-reported function. Knee Surg, Sport Tr, A. 2016; doi:10.1007/500167-016-4324-7.
- Bell S, Iversen MD, Zak A, Shadick N, Polletta V, Solomon DH. Participation in clinical research registries: A focus group study examining views from patients with arthritis and other chronic illnesses. Arthritis Care Res. 2015; doi: 10.1002/acr.22767.
- Campos RR, Dias J, Pereira L, Obara K, Barreto MST, Silva MF, Mazuquin BF, Christofaro DGD, Fernandes RA, Iversen MD, Cardoso J. The effect of pilates method on the physical conditioning of healthy subjects: A systematic review with meta-analysis. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2016;56(7-8): 864-73.
- Moe R, Iversen MD. Active approach to hand osteoarthritis. Rheumatol 2016;55(3): 389-390 doi:10.1093/rheumatology/kev396
- Iversen MD, Introduction to physical medicine, physical therapy, and rehabilitation. In: GS Firestein et al (EDs) Kelley’s Textbook of Rheumatology. 10th ed. Elsevier. 2016: ISBN: 9780323316965.
- Iversen MD, von Heideken J, Farmer E, Rihm J, Heyworth B, Kocher MS. Validity and comprehensibility of pediatric physical activity scales for children with sports-related lower extremity injuries. J Pedi Orthopedics. 2015; PMID: 25851672
- Sharby N, Martire K, Iversen MD. Decreasing health disparities for people with disabilities through improved communication strategies and awareness. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015, 12(3):3301-16. doi: 10.3390/ijerph120303301
- Iversen MD, Frits M, Cui J, Shadick N, Scanlon L, Sharby N. Perceptions of physical activity engagement among adults with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Rheumatologists: A Qualitative Study. Int J Clin Rheum. 2015; 10(2): 67-77.
- Esbjornsson AC, Iversen MD, Andie M, Hagelberg S, Schwartz MH, Brostrom EW. Effect of intra-articular corticosteroid foot injections on walking function in children with idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Care Res. 2015; DOI: 10.1002/acr.22624