Lichuan Ye, PhD, RN
Faculty, School of Nursing
Office: 207 C Robinson Hall
For information and resources regarding returning to campus and COVID-19 please visit the university COVID-19 website
Education and Training:
PhD Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
MS Geriatrics and Internal Medicine, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
BS Nursing, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing, RN
Promoting health through better sleep and better management of sleep disorders
Principal Investigator, A Sleep Promotion Toolkit for Hospitalized Patients. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, R21 HS024330, 9/30/15 – 9/29/18.
Principal Investigator, Developing a Couple-oriented Self-management Tool to Improve Adherence to PAP Treatment. NUCARE Pilot Grant, P20NR015320, 2018 – 2019.
Principal Investigator, Sleep Promotion for Hospitalized Patients. Haley Nurse Scientist Award, 10/01/10 – 12/31/15.
Principal Investigator, Spousal Involvement in Adherence to CPAP Treatment. NIH-National Institute of Nursing Research, R15 NR013274, 06/05/13 – 05/31/16.
Refereed Articles (*data-based)
* Ye, L., Owens, R.L., Dykes, P. (2019). Individualized Sleep Promotion in Acute Care Hospitals: Identifying Factors that Affect Patient Sleep. Applied Nursing Research, 48: 63-67.
Carter, P., Ye, L., Richards, R., and Vallabhaneni, V. (2019). Sleep & Memory: The Promise of Precision Medicine. Sleep Medicine Clinics, 14 (3): 371-378.
* Pien, G., Ye, L., Keenan, B.T., Maislin, G., Björnsdóttir, E., Arnardottir, E. S., Benediktsdottir, B., Gislason, T., Pack, A., I. (2018) Changing Faces of OSA: Treatment Effects by Cluster Designation in the Icelandic Sleep Apnea Cohort. SLEEP, 41(3). https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/zsy042
Ye, L. and Richards, K (2018). Sleep and Long-Term Care. Sleep Medicine Clinics, 13, 117-125.
* Ye, L. Antonelli, M. T., Willis, D. G., Kayser, K., Malhotra, A, Patel, S. R. (2017) Couple’s Experiences with CPAP Therapy: A Dyadic Perspective. Sleep Health – Journal of the National Sleep Foundation, 3(5): 362-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleh.2017.07.003
Ye, L., Malhotra, A., Kayser, K., Willis, D.G., Horowitz, J., Aloia, M., Weaver, T.E. (2015). Spousal Involvement and CPAP Adherence: A Dyadic Perspective. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 19C: 67-74. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2014.04.005. PMCID: PMC4225184.
* Ye, L., Smith, A. (2015). Developing and Testing a Sleep Education Program for College Nursing Students. Journal of Nursing Education, 54(9), 532-535. doi:10.3928/01484834-20150814-09
* Ye, L., Johnson, S.H., Keane, K., Manasia, M., Gregas, M. (2015). Napping in College Students and Its Relationship with Nighttime Sleep. Journal of American College Health, 63(2), 88-97. doi:10.1080/07448481.2014.983926
* Ye, L., Pien, G.W., Ratcliffe, S.J., Björnssdottir, E., Arnardottir, E.S., Pack. A.I., Benediktsdottir, B., Gislason, T. (2014). The Different Clinical Faces of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Cluster Analysis. European Respiratory Journal, 44(6):1600-1607. doi:10.1183/09031936.00032314
* Gillis, C.M., Poyant, J.O., Degrado, J.R., Ye, L., Anger, K.E., Owens, R.L. (2014). Inpatient Pharmacological Sleep Aid Utilization Is Common At a Tertiary Medical Center. Journal of Hospital Medicine, 9(10): 652-657. doi:10.1002/jhm.2246.
* Ye, L., Keane, K., Johnson, S.H., Dykes, P.C. (2013). How Do Clinicians Assess, Communicate About and Manage Patient Sleep in the Hospital? Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(6): 342-347.
* Ye, L., Pack, A.I., Maislin, G., Dinges, D., Hurley, S., McCloskey, S., Weaver, T.E. (2012). Predictors of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Use during the First Week of Treatment. Journal of Sleep Research, 21(4): 419-26.
* Ulrich, C.M., Zhou, Q., Ratcliffe, S.J., Ye, L., Grady, C., Watkins-Bruner, D. (2012). Nurse Practitioners’ Attitudes about Cancer Clinical Trials and Willingness to Recommend Research Participation. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 33(1): 76-84.
* Ye, L. (2011). Factors Influencing Daytime Sleepiness in Chinese Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 9(2): 117-127.
Honors & Awards:
Selected Participant, “Sleep, Circadian Rhythms, and Aging: New Avenues for Improving Brain Health, Physical Health and Functioning,” sponsored by the National Institute on Aging and the American Geriatrics Society, 2015.
Excellence in Nursing Research Award, American Nurses Association Massachusetts, 2014.
Excellence in Teaching and Clinical Research Award, Boston College Connell School of Nursing, 2014.
Haley Nurse Scientist, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, 2010 – 2016.
Dissertation Award, Eastern Nursing Research Society/ Council for Advancement of Nursing Science, 2008.
Graduate Student Association Council Travel Grant, University of Pennsylvania, 2008.
Eleanor Lambertson RN Scholar, American Nurses Foundation Research Award, 2007.
Honorable Mention Abstract Award, Sleep Research Society, 2007.
Xi Chapter Research Award, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, 2007.
Graduate Student Association Council Travel Grant, University of Pennsylvania, 2007.
Selected Mentee, National Coalition of Ethnic Minority Nurse Associations, 2007.
Graduate Student Association Council Travel Grant, University of Pennsylvania, 2005.
University Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 2004 – 2005.
Induction, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (Xi Chapter), 2004.
Outstanding Graduate Award, Sichuan University, China, 2001.
Merit Scholarship, Sichuan University, China, 1996 – 2001.
Professional and Community Service:
Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Gamma Epsilon Chapter Gamma Scholar Research Award, 2018 to present.
Member, American Nurses Association Massachusetts, 2016 – present.
Member, American Thoracic Society Scientific Advisory Council, 2015 – 2016.
Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, American Thoracic Society, 2015 – 2016.
Member, Sleep Research Society Membership and Communications Committee, 2013 – 2016.
Member, BC Talks Aging Advisory Board-BC Talks Aging: Boston College Institute on Aging and the Hartford Center of Excellence in Geriatric Social Work. Sleep During Hospitalization, and Poor Sleep is Not a Normal Part of Aging. http://www.bc.edu/centers/ioa/videos/sleep.html, 2016.
Member, Expert Stakeholder Panel: AHRQ (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)-sponsored project “Future Research Needs in the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea,” Tufts Evidence-based Practice Center Treatment Report: http://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/index.cfm/search-for-guides-reviews-and-reports/?pageaction=displayProduct&productID=955, Summer 2011.
Co-Chair, Awards Committee, Eastern Nurse Research Society, 2010 – 2011.
Member, Awards Committee, Eastern Nurse Research Society, 2009 – 2010.